Continuing the theme of nominal accidentology - the study of names which could have been otherwise, and the ensuing differences in derivatives, I want to consider the alternative universe wherein our feet are as useful at manipulation - or podipulation - as our hands. It's based on a series of tweets emitted back in February, while our esteemed PM worked abroad as a salesman for the arms industry. That moment is passed, so we need not be so personal.
Possible changes in the English language which might have ensued, were our feet as useful as our hands:
- We'd be able to stand legs akimbo
- We'd have legs dealers
- Legs dealers could be entertained with a toe buffet
- Our politicians could flog sidelegs on trades missions
- CND would stand for the more general Campaign for Nuclear Dismemberment
- George Bernard Shaw's play might have been entitled Legs and the Man
- Abilene would famously have required surrender, on entry, of all footguns
- Our Air Forces, Navies and Armies would be companioned with Leggies
- We'd have a Salvation Leggy
- There'd be a quip about someone looking "eggless enough"
- There'd be no need for the Black Knight fight scene in Jabberwocky